Xah Music Blog Archive 2016-07
Tell Tale Songs
new nav panel. tell tale songs, aka ballad. if you are interested in what's called the Arts in college.
y'know? like 4chan /b, but suppose written by a 50 yrs old man, like, a touch of understanding of world's affairs.
and sometimes i suppose, if that guy is 1k years old, like, vampire that's so sexy on screen, he wouldn't have cared.
if you live forever, at what age, you start to disbelieve all you believed? and at what age, it's all a joke? but then, maybe it won't be so.
That, is the great mystery of life.
O, how i long to be a vamp, at 50, still rock hard.
some of the classics like David Bowie ♪ Life on Mars That empty gaze of pale blue.
David Bowie ♪ Space Oddity Eerily serene and catastrophic. The love, the aspiration, the venerability, and the anthropic beauty of home.
and this is House of the Rising Sun . Meaning, prostitute house. A place of dreams, of desperation, pleasure, business, and murder.
and here's the classic, prison of wealth Eagles ♪ Hotel California
and here's Queen ♪ Bohemian Rhapsody. died of AIDS. Scaramouche in fandango vs Galileo figaro.
whereas Bismillah means “In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful”. and Beelzebub means “Lord of the Flies”.
花样的年华 (Age of Blossom)
new navigation panel, wartime Shanghai songs. History sings. The pain, the devastation, the sorrow.
王菲 - 容易受傷的女人 Fragile Woman
now with side panel. She's biggest Asian pop star, since 2000.
鄧麗君 Teresa Deng Songs
new navigation panel. Chinese song. She's the biggest Asian star in 1980, 1990s.
The Well Tempered Clavier by Romaninoff
This piece, is the best music in the universe. Bach, Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1, Fugue #8
- ok, now, Xah edu corner, bout #20160701063239, on canon, fugue, and counter-point! and pitch, timbre, and what means musics!
- 1 first of all, u no unstand. it's too deep a subject.
- 2 see yonder sine wave of ya highschool? remember frequency, amplitude? and wave shape?
- side insert: the spectacular flame of mathematics Sine Curve
- 3 now, loundness is the size of the wave. frequency is the pitch. higher pitch, more squished the wave. shriek of girls.
- 4 wave shape corresponds to timber. that is, the “color” of the sound. e.g. piano, violin, human, sound different at same pitch
- 5 Let's present pitch by numbers. 1 2 3 4 5 …. So a piece of piano music is just sequence of numbers, each with a duration.
- 6 now you can play a song backward. namely, read the number sequence from last to first.
- 7 you can do transpose. That is, add/minus n to all numbers. So, if a song is 3 2 7 2 9, now if +1, it's 4 3 8 3 10
- 8 we can also play inverse. eg song 3 2 7, is -1 +5. Now do +1 -5. So new song is 3 4 -1. So, song 1 2 3 4 5 6, is 6 5 4 3 2 1. (if we transpose first)
- 9 another variation is length/shorten duration of each note, for all notes in the song.
- 10 now, you can combine any of the above, to create a new variation of the melody.
- 11 now, a canon is 1 melody with variations of the above means. basically, same melody, repeated, going each every way, in the same song.
- 12 fugue is just canon, but with non-strict rules. So, basically, a melody that repeat in varied ways in one song.
- 13 you can easily understand Fugue, by listening to this. What is a Fugue? So You Want to Write a Fugue
- 14 you see, the key is that the end result must be musical. that's what makes fugue difficult and fascinating.
- 15 the above mention ways of variation of a melody, is called contrapuntal or counter-point. so, fuge is contrapuntal composition.
- 16 j s bach is the king of writing fugue. goto youtube search fugue you'll find tons.
- 17 now, for some reason, contrapuntal music is a thing of the west. Music in china, for example, never developed such a concept.
- 18 lol. somebody made a fuge of lady gaga's song.
Bach, Art of the Fugue
Liszt: Years of Pilgrimage (on its own page)
“Listen, I'm not the nicest guy in the Universe, because I'm the smartest. And being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets.” —Rick and Morty
Nine Inch Nails - “Hurt” from Rick n Morty
Bach, Toccata and Fugue in D minor
Chopin, Fantasie-Impromptu, Opus #66
Bach, Marcello, BWV 974
Bach, Busoni - Chaconne in D minor
Bach, Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor
Q: How to kill a mathematician? A: Play this fugue. Bach, Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1, Fugue #4
Bach, Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1, Fugue #8